Friday, June 15, 2012

Bridge Cafe & Supper Club in Farmington

Farmington is a small town on the Des Moines River in Southeast Iowa best known for a Strawberry Festival each June that includes free strawberries and ice cream from Berry Concerned People. It is also the town closest to Shimek State Forest, which seems looks like 9,000 acres of undisturbed oak forest. The Bridge Cafe and Supperclub was my second choice to eat here, after another place was closed during my visit. I was lucky to find a good tenderloin in a place I didn't expect.

Location: 101 Olive St in Farmington, Van Buren County, in Southeast Iowa.

Directions: Its right beside the bridge into town over the Des Moines River.


The Tenderloin: Listed as half pound pork loin sandwich, the lady running things told me this was made at a local meat locker. The white meat was thick and had the consistency of being tenderized by hand. The breading formed a thick edge and had a good crunchy texture. Served with your choice of fixins on an untoasted bun. Overall 7.7 out of ten.

Price: $6.25
Also on the menu: Breakfast, fried stuff, homemade soup,  hot beef sandwiches and homemade pies listed on a pie board.


Service: There was one lady waiting the counter and another cooking when I stopped by.

Ambiance: This place doesn't look like much from the outside. There is a dining area for special events, a dining room with tables and an antique counter area that has fallen into disrepair with torn seats and wobbly stools.

Final Thoughts: This is now the fourth place I have checked out for a tenderloin in Van Buren County. I think I had my best luck at Misty's Malt Shop in Keosauqua  and AJ's Bar in Mt Sterling. I wish I could make it to small town festivals like the Strawberry Festival but the timing never seems to be right.
Bridge Cafe & Supper Club on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

  1. Have you ever been to Cresco, Iowa for a review? I have to visit there later this summer and would appreciate a recommendation if you have one. Love a good tenderloin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to Cresco plenty of times but have never found anything worth writing about here. The local legend in Cresco is Mabe's Pizza. Just down the road from Cresco is Decorah which has some great local restaurants for a small town. Driving through the bluff country is nice but I never found a good tenderloin sandwich.

    One the way to Cresco, the Suzie-Q in Mason City may be undergoing repairs this summer. Newtons Paradise Cafe in downtown Waterloo has a huge menu and a large tenderloin. They have a website you can check out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much. We decided to stop in Waterloo then and have our tenderloin at Newtons as recommended and then continue on to Cresco. Thanks again we really enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete